Deer Park United Church is seeking a leader for its youth ministry, to work Friday evenings and Sunday mornings weekly, plus one Saturday evening a month, sharing responsibilities with our current youth leader. This is a 8.5 hour per week position, at $15.00 per hour. A current criminal record check is required. The job description is attached. The current program is very active, and we are seeking a responsible, energetic employee to help maintain and grow this important program
JOB DESCRIPTION – youth worker
Children and Youth Programmer-Canada Summer Student Positions
Deer Park United Church is looking to hire summer students to help support our Summer Play day camp and drop in children’s programming!
Summer Play is a day camp funded by Alberta Health Services-Addiction Prevention and provided in collaboration by local schools, nonprofits, and local residents. It provides an opportunity for teens to gain volunteer experience as junior counsellors, and an opportunity for children aged five through twelve to access free programming throughout the summer. Last year, we provided crafts, games, sports, movie nights, and video game afternoons; as well as workshops with the Calgary Public Library, the Calgary Police Department, the Calgary Fire Department, and a traditional hoop dancer! After camp is finished, we provide drop in programming (sports, movie afternoons, and crafts) for the remaining weeks of the summer. It is a great time for all!
- 9 week position for 30 hours/week
- Three positions available
- All genders are welcome to apply. Deer Park United Church is an Affirming congregation within the United Church of Canada. You can read more about that here: http://affirmunited.ause.ca/frequently-asked-questions-about-affirm-united-saffirmer-ensemble/
- Individuals who identify as Aboriginal and/or people of color are encouraged to apply for these positions
- Students who are enrolled in post-secondary programs, including those who have graduated grade 12 in 2017(ideally child care, education, recreation, or social work) and will be returning to post-secondary education in the fall are encouraged to apply; unfortunately we are unable to hire those currently attending high school(due to the stipulations of our grant).
- Experience in summer camp, program creation, and/or youth leadership environments is an asset, as is current first aid certification.
- This position will report to the Parish Social Worker, who will supervise in person and via email (when not available in person).
Please apply to Kiran Stewart-McKee, Parish Social Worker at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2017.